The Planet Dog Foundation began the journey towards our next million dollars in giving in 2014, donating a total of $103,620 in support of the exemplary work of non-profit organizations training and placing dogs working to help people in need all over the country.
PDF is able to fund all of these lifesaving organizations because of YOU – our valued customers. Every time you purchase a Planet Dog product, PDF receives 2% of that sale – that's 2% of all gross sales that we give to help dogs to help people. And that's a lot to wag about this Thanksgiving season.
Here are just a few highlights of what your purchases funded in 2014.
Dax, an impeccably trained Search and Rescue dog working with the National Disaster Search Dog Foundation, was trained and placed with a $10,000 PDF grant. Dax was deployed in November, 2014 to Buffalo, NY in the wake of the devastating snowstorms to help with rescue efforts of people trapped in cars, and to conduct searches through homes where there have been snow-ins, or collapsed roofs.
PDF partnered with the Spirit of Blue Foundation to fund the acquisition and placement of an explosives detection dog for the Kane County, IL Sheriff's Office. PDF awarded $12,500 towards the cost of Jack, a German Shepherd, who will embark on a long and productive career with the Kane County office.
We offered $5,000 to Freedom Service Dogs in Denver, Colorado to sponsor the Assistance Dogs International Biannual Conference. This conference brings together assistance dog training programs, handlers, and students from across the globe to enhance training methodologies, client services, kennel standards and more. PDF funding enabled ADI to offer scholarships for lower-income practitioners, and helped offset the costs of a 5-day international conference.
We are funding the training and ongoing work of Dargo, a Labrador Retriever from the Working Dog Center of the University of Pennsylvania as he masters cancer cell detection for crucial involvement in ongoing early screening for ovarian and other cancers.
Some additional PDF grants and donations were awarded to:
- The medical fund of Bruno, a police dog from Anaheim, CA who was shot in the face in the line of duty;
- Provided critical early funding to help Silent Sidekicks, Maine's first state-wide therapy dog program create systems and procedures to harness their network of volunteers for visits in schools, hospitals, and social service outlets;
- The Courthouse Dogs Foundation to fund the dissemination of their best practices guide for dogs accompanying minors to court as they testify about trauma and abuse;
- East Coast Assistance Dogs for the exploration of adaptive technologies to enable people with compromised communication abilities to deliver assistance dog commands;
- The Bideawee Pet Therapy & Literacy Program of New York City, to facilitate more than 200 teams that serve hospitals, nursing homes, schools, trauma centers, domestic violence shelters, and more;
- Paws 4 Autism, that trains specialized dogs to partner with children with autism and their families, fostering increased social and communication skills;
- DELMARVA Search and Rescue to cover the costs of advanced air-scenting training for their all-volunteer search and rescue teams.
To see all of the ways that YOUR 2% is teaching our children, opening doors to freedom and independence, leading the way, healing the sick, supporting our troops, finding the lost, and saving lives, please visit http://www.planetdogfoundation.org/grantees.aspx.
Everything we do is because of you. As we celebrate this Thanksgiving, on behalf of the programs we fund, the dogs we support, and the people whose lives we touch, we thank you.
With wags and heartfelt gratitude,
Executive Director, The Planet Dog Foundation